Saturday, October 11, 2008

Week 5 - Of Cider and Men

Sorry for the late issue this week, gentle readers. Just did not get around to this until today! Since I was gone fishing last week I did not consume as much football as usual, but I can assure you that I kept the standard in the beer category!

Bushed

So Reggie Bush runs back TWO punts for TDs and the Saints still lose? At home?? I thought that the Saints were supposed to have this high flying offense? Drew Brees ranked high in all the pundits lists didn't he? Well, apart from Reggie's two TDs they only managed 13 points! I read a report that another pundit expected Drew to have a big passing game against the Raiders this week, but we'll see. I'll put the Raiders secondary up against any team in the league. We'll see what happens!

The Colts Are Done

Thank God for this! Sure, they won this last week, but barely and they are 2-2. I hate Peyton Manning, his father, his brother, and even people named Manning who are not even related to them. Why can't he just get a Theisman and be done with? My only fear with this line of thought would be that were he disabled and taken out of the league, he would just appear in the broadcast booth as a ubiquitous a-hole in my face. I don't know which would be worse. Perhaps someone could sack him and crush his larynx or something.... that ought to do it!

Sitting on the Dock on a Lake

As I indicated earlier, I did not get to watch much football last weekend, but I did catch the Charger game. I was sitting on a dock at Gull Lake, over 7000 feet up in the Sierras enjoying some cold beer and views that were unbelievable. My buddy Mark has a Sprint phone with the NFL package so we were able to listen to any game right on his phone. It was my pleasure to listen to the Charger Homer announcers cringe as the Bolts failed again. I could not see LT pout or limp around, but the images were in my head anyway. That guy is becoming an anchor for the Bolts. Even if he is better at some point, I assure you that he will have lost that little edge that he had to be one half step ahead. Its over for LT.

Sunday night is a big game for you Charger fans. We'll see what team shows up. The only player the Bolts have that is meeting the expectations for him is Rivers so far, but now who will he throw to? Chambers is out. Gates is a mere shadow of himself. I guess that leaves Jackson, hmmm. I think that the Pats only need to play their B game to win this one!


Cider

My younger brother Robert is a self styled master homebrewer. His beers have won many awards in beer competition and since he stopped putting fruit in his beer they are actually quite good. Anyway, while he was not on our trip to the Sierras, he did send along some home brew, a porter and some cider. One of my friends, RIch, who does not drink a lot of beer like the rest of us, exclaimed one night that the Cider was tasty and would be easier on his stomach that gives him gas. He then proceeded to drink a shitload of the stuff, apparently not knowing that home brewed cider has a massive alcohol content.

Rich got shitfaced, and then proceeded to spend half the night and a good part of the morning puking his guts out. I have never seen a guy so hung over! This reminded me of the time a number of years ago when my wife and I tried that Atkins diet - you know, the one with only meat and vegetables. Sounded OK to me - steak for dinner, steak and eggs for breakfast, etc! The only problem was NO BEER. I was forced to move to gin and diet tonic to avoid the carbs. THe problem is that 10 beers is very different than 10 gin and tonics (large ones of course) and I had some of the most massive hangovers and headaches that I have ever had.

I guess those of us who are used to beer know the old saying coined by Country Dick Montana - "Beer Ain't Drinkin'".

No comments: