Thursday, December 21, 2006

The Raiders really stink

I guess this needs to be revealed - I am a lifelong Raiders fan. Yes, bring it on, I can take it. We are about as bad as bad gets, at least on the offensive side of the ball. While the Raiders defense is top ranked (#4 in the NFL) our scoring production looks like it will end up under 200 points for the whole frigin year! There are not too many teams that can boast of this acheivement which was most recently accomplished by both the Browns and Bengals in 2000.

Aaron Brooks can run from the rush all right, but he seems to throw picks at the most inopportune times. This is not to say that there is a better time than others to turn the ball over, its just that these guys seem to always kill themselves when they could actually put a drive together.

A couple of games, specifically 3 AFC west games found the Raiders in the lead in the 4th quarter. The stupid Raiders found a way to blow each of those lead and lose by a combined total of less than 2 touchowns.

So what's the deal? I have a few opinions:

- Tom Walsh was pathetic at offensive coordinator. I flew to Seattle to watch the Monday Night game and it was a horror to watch. He would send 2 and 3 wideouts streaking down the field on long routes while the pocket collapsed. There was no short option for passing. Every football fan could see that this was a horrible concept and that it was doomed to fail, yet he kept on doing it. Why, you ask? Ask the man in the white jumpsuit!

- Randy Moss is a quitter. There were many instances where you could tell that he was just not trying. When the game was lost in KC on that interception in the end zone, he just stood there with his hands at his sides while a defensive back stepped in front of him and took the ball. Hit the guy for christ's sake! Try to go to the ball! If Randy does not have the ball dropped right in his hands he just gives up. ANybody want to trade?

- Art Shell is a nice guy - well respected by the players. But what the fuck is he doing? He seems to just stand there and let the game roll over him. I do not see any fire in his demeanor. He seems resigned to losing and I think that the players feed on that attitude on the sideline. Yell a little bit - look interested - do SOMETHING!

- I hate to say it but Al Davis' time has come. Yes, he is in the hall of fame and yes he has 3 rings, but I am confident that he is one of the main causes of our demise. He is super knowledgeable on football, but I think that his mind is a bit gone. He also is way to involved in the day to day, and even play to play, running of the team. I would bet that he instructed Tom Walsh to call those plays - he thinks we can bring back the Mad Bomber! Well those days are over - long gone. The only coach worth a shit that we have had for about 20 years was Chuckie. Chuckie only came over because he was so young that Al was the only guy who would give him the head coach job. No other coach worth his weight in dog shit would touch this job because Al will always be calling in from his booth telling him what to do. Al, step aside, and take Amy Trask with you. We need to recruit winning coaches and until Al dies or goes away we will be screwed.

- Robert Gallery is officially a bust. How many sacks can this #1 draft pick give up - it seems limitless! I say we dump him and his stupid long hair.

There is so much more that I could puke out about the Raiders, but I will spare you for now. It's time to talk about beer. Since I have finished off the Caguama, I am moving back to my day to day beer, Bud Light. Yes, beer purists, Bud Light reigns in our neighborhood. Why? Because it is good, cheap, and you can drink it all day. I bought some beer the other day at essentially the same price that I paid in college back in 1982! Inflation be damned! I will devote another blog post to the merits of Bud Light and to all other wonderful beers as this is a discussion that can go on for some time.

No comments: